Mexican Sweet Potato Skins
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 cup onion finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper finely chopped
- 4 oz black beans rinsed and drained
- 8 oz corn rinsed and drained
- 3 tbsp salsa optional
- salt & pepper
- pinch chilis
- 1 cup cheese low fat
- 8 oz chicken breasts ground
- Preheat oven to to 400°F
- Pierce sweet potatoes a few times with a fork. Arrange them on the tray and roast for about 40-50 minutes, or until tender. (Smaller sized sweet potatoes are cooked through faster, so pierce with a fork after 40 minutes to check, and continue roasting, if needed until soft). Quick version: Optionally, you can wrap the pierced sweet potato in a kitchen towel and microwave for 10 minutes until soft.
- While sweet potatoes are baking, heat a pan. Add the onions, bell pepper and ground chicken and sauté until cooked to temp. Add the garlic and roast for a further minute until fragrant. Sprinkle with salt, pepper or other seasonings to taste. Set aside.
- When sweet potatoes are fork-tender remove from the oven. Let cool for 5 minutes, or until cool enough to handle. Cut them in half and scoop out the flesh with a spoon, leaving a thin layer of potato inside of the skins. Combine roasted onion mixture, beans, corn, salsa and mix to combine.
- Brush the sides of your sweet potato skins with a tiny bit of oil. Scoop the filling inside and sprinkle with low fat cheese
- Bake for about 5-10 minutes or until cheese is melted.