Baked Ziti w Summer Veggies
- 4 oz. whole wheat pasta dry penne pasta
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 red onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes chopped
- 2 cups summer squash chopped
- 1 cup zucchini chopped
- ¼ cup basil finely chopped
- ½ tsp. sea salt or Himalayan salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 1 red pepper flakes optional
- ¾ cup Mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- 1½ cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Cook ziti according to package directions; drain. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375º F.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion; cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 6 minutes, or until onion is translucent.
- Add garlic; cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes, summer squash, and zucchini; cook, stirring frequently, for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Combine onion mixture, pasta, basil, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes (if desired), ½ cup mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, and ricotta cheese in a large bowl; mix well. Place in a 2½ to 3-quart casserole that is lightly coated with spray.
- Top evenly with remaining ¼ cup mozzarella cheese. Bake, covered with aluminum foil, for 35 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 10 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly.