Vegan BBQ Pulled “Pork”
- 36 oz jackfruit
- ½ cup tomato sauce marinara passata
- ½ cup Dijon mustard
- 4 oz liquid smoke
- 2 oz worcestershire sauce low sodium
- 3 tbsp evoo or avocado oil
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ⅓ cup red onion diced
- 2 tbsp honey
- ¾ cup water
- 2 tbsp arrowroot starch
- 2 tbsp water
- 6 whole wheat buns
- Place all the ingredients in the slow cooker except for the arrowroot starch. Cook on high for 4 to 6 hours or low for 6 to 8 hours.
- When there is just about an hour left of cooking, spoon out the jackfruit, leaving only the broth. Mix together the arrowroot starch with water OR with 2 tablespoons of the broth. Immediately pour it into the slow cooker and stir. Add the jackfruit back to the slow cooker to finish cooking.
- Once the cooking cycle has finished, using two forks (or even a potato masher), gently mash and pull apart the jackfruit so it resembles pulled pork.
- Mix everything together in the slow cooker and serve and enjoy immediately.
- Note: I added mine to a sandwich with avocado, purple cabbage and spicy jalapeño sauce on a challah bun. You can definitely choose another type of bread when enjoying this such as low-carb buns, whole grain bread or even ciabatta rolls.