Artichoke Crab Cakes with Sriracha Tartar Sauce
sriracha tartar sauce
- 1/4 cup vegan mayonnaise 110 g
- 1 tablespoons sriracha
- 1 tablespoon juice from a jar of capers
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
artichoke crab cakes
- 1 cup saltine crackers oyster crackers or crushed
- 30 ounce artichoke can rinsed and drained well, 425 g
- 3 to 4 scallions finely chopped, plus more for garnish
- 1/4 cup bell pepper red
- 1/4 cup corn fresh or defrosted if frozen
- 2 teaspoons Old Bay Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon parsley
- 1/4 cup vegan mayonnaise
- salt & pepper
- Canola oil for frying
- In a small bowl, whisk together the Sriracha Tartar Sauce ingredients. Chill until ready to use.
- Place the oyster crackers in a food processor and process into the consistency of coarse flour with small chunks. Set aside in a small bowl.
- Place the artichoke hearts in a food processor and pulse 6 to 7 times, until broken up but still chunky. Transfer to a large bowl. Add the scallions, red bell pepper, corn kernels, Old Bay, kelp granules, garlic powder, dried parsley, mayonnaise, and salt and pepper. Stir in the oyster cracker “flour.”
- Use a ¼-cup (60 ml) measuring cup to scoop out the artichoke mixture. Using your hands, shape patties and place on a plate.
- Set a large frying pan, preferably cast iron, over medium heat. Pour in enough oil to coat the bottom and heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Line a plate with paper towels.
- Place 3 to 4 patties in the pan and cook for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, until crisp and browned all over. Place on the plate with more paper towels on top to absorb the excess oil. Repeat with the remaining patties, adding more oil as necessary, until all are cooked. Serve Artichoke Crab Cakes topped with the Sriracha Tartar Sauce and remaining scallions.