Pineapple Pepper Chicken & Brown Rice Bowl
- 1 lb chicken breasts cut into small cubes
- 2 cups bell pepper diced large pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or safflower oil
- 1/2 cup red onion diced large pieces
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic minced
- 1 cup pineapple cubes WITH juice
- 1 tablespoon spicy mustard or Chinese mustard
- 1 tablespoon sriracha or more if desired
- 2 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon agave
- soy sauce or low sodium soy sauce to taste
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot mixed with 1 tablespoon water
- cracked pepper
- 2 cup brown rice cooked
- In a small bowl, mix together mustard, Sriracha, ACV, agave and Bragg Liquid Aminos. Set it aside.
- Set a nonstick skillet on medium heat and add oil, garlic and shallots. Cook until the shallots are almost translucent, about 3 to 5 minutes, and be careful not to burn the garlic.
- At the same time, season chicken pieces with pinches of pepper, then set a nonstick skillet on medium heat. Spray it with olive oil and when it’s hot, add the chicken pieces. Cook for about 8 minutes until the outside edges are seared and no longer pink. When the chicken is about 80% finished cooking, add the diced red pepper and cook the chicken and the red pepper together.
- Once the shallots are ready, toss in the cubed pineapple and cook alone for about 2 minutes, then pour in the sauce. Set the heat on low-medium and ensure the sauce is lightly simmering. Then, mix 1 tablespoon water with arrowroot starch and immediately add it to the skillet with the sauce. Stir the sauce quickly so the arrowroot starch will not clump.
- Add the sauce to the chicken, remove the skillet from the heat and fold everything together using a spatula, ensuring every piece is coated.
- Season to taste with more pepper, Bragg and fresh cilantro.
- Enjoy with quinoa, jasmine or brown rice or even cauliflower rice for a lower-carbohydrate alternative.